Just as Equitas Health strives to remove barriers to healthcare, we also seek to extend our care beyond the walls of a doctor’s office by offering additional services for those in need.
Equitas Health is proud to offer legal assistance through clinics as part of our integrated care model. Our lawyers work to remove legal barriers for the clients we serve in these clinic settings, focusing on Equitas Health’s vision to serve as the gateway to good health. Our clinic topics are limited to family law issues for all clients and name/gender changes that affect the trans+ community. Name & Gender Change Clinics occur twice a month throughout the State of Ohio.
We also have relationships with lawyers and legal aid groups across the state if ever a referral is needed. These lawyers are trained to fight stigma, discrimination, and help ease access through affirming services. Some common situations where a referral may be necessary include:
- Protect and enforce access to public benefits including Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security
- Eliminate obstacles to good health care (including discrimination and illegal charges)
- Keep their jobs, stay in school, and retain housing through enforcement of nondiscrimination laws and reasonable accommodations
- Obtain disability income if they are too sick to work
- Return to work after receiving disability as their health improves
- Protect their medical privacy
- Plan for their future health care and long-term care needs
- Protect their families through healthcare directives and wills
- Obtain legal immigration status in the U.S. if faced with persecution or lack of medical care in their country of origin
- Correct their identity documents and legal records if they are transgender
- Fight HIV and LGBT related discrimination, including refusals by a medical provider to prescribe PrEP
If you are impacted by these legal issues or are interested in volunteering with us, call our Legal Services Department at (614) 987-5291 or email email@example.com.
Name and Gender Change Legal Clinics
During open Name and Gender Change Legal Clinic hours, trained attorneys will provide one-on-one counseling about the gender- and name-changing process.
Helpful information about name and gender change information is available at the National Center for Transgender Equality website, including Declaration of Gender Change on Ohio Drivers License forms, birth certificate information, policies, and procedures.
(Please visit this page for more dates as they are scheduled.)
Toledo | Wednesday, May 8, 2019 | 6-8PM
Location: Equitas Health – Toledo 3450 W. Central Ave, Suite 104 Toledo, OH 43606
Portsmouth | Wednesday, May 22, 2019 | 6-8PM
Location: Equitas Health – Portsmouth 1615 Chillicothe St., Suite A Portsmouth OH 45662
Cleveland | Wednesday, June 12, 2019 | 6-8PM
Location: ACLU of Ohio, 4506 Chester Ave., Cleveland, OH 44103
Pre-registration is not required, but is preferred for planning purposes. To register, please fill out this online form. You may also register by calling (614) 987-5291.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (614) 987-5291.
More clinic dates and times will be announced as details are available.